All Things Web® Case Study
Moving Offices – ATW Case Study
All Things Web® a digital marketing agency had moved out of their 2 offices during the pandemic with the team working remotely for over 16 months. They were keen to move back into premises and had located a suitable office in the Cotswolds in the Spring of 2021.
Having previously utilised serviced offices they felt they needed support around the legal responsibilities associated with taking on a dedicated office space and looked to Sureteam for support and assistance to ensure that they were aware of all of the necessary health and safety considerations before, during and after the move.
Health and Safety Assessments for all areas of the businessSureteam have been the health and safety consultants for All Things Web® for a number of years and so the team came to us early on explaining that they would be moving to a new premises. Having only worked from serviced buildings before it was therefore important that they had considered all aspects of health and safety for their employees and visitors once in situ as well as during final negotiations with the landlord, should items need addressing prior to them moving in. Initially the first task was to assess the different areas of the business and audit the premises to understand their status and understand what paperwork was in place already. These fell into two categories:
- Office Set up / COVID Risk Assessment
- Fire Safety Assessment
A Healthy and Safe Office Set-upSureteam’s audit informed The All Things Web® team of a wide range of health and safety issues they needed to consider and check. These included:
- Legionella – the risk of it being present in water tanks and pipes and ensuring drinking water is safe. Understanding whether water tanks were separate or shared between offices and how to treat these if necessary.
- Asbestos – clarifying the age of the building and getting any necessary paperwork to ascertain if asbestos is present and the implications of maintaining these areas.
- Slips, Trips and Falls – looking at all areas of the office and making sure that appropriate measures are in place to reduce slips, trips and falls. Whether this is the flooring in kitchen and toilet areas or the space around desks allowing for easy access and wires being kept neat and tidy and out of the way, so they don’t present a trip hazard.
- COVID precautions – advising on the arrangement of desks and office layout so that the team can work and move around maintaining a 2m distance most of the time (this was before the 1m+ rule was relaxed). Stressing on the importance of ventilation and having windows open where possible as well as having the air conditioning system serviced to reduce the presence of any allergens. As well recommending the continued use of face coverings whilst individuals move around the office and the regular cleaning of contact points such as kitchen areas, door handles, desks and keyboards. Given the significance of COVID and the many ways it has impacted businesses, Sureteam also shared their COVID resources pack giving advice and guidance on many areas of COVID health and safety.
- Display Screen Equipment (DSE) – recommending the best set up of DSE equipment and providing DSE assessment training for the All Things Web® team to ensure all staff are aware of how to set up their workstations correctly and reduce injuries and strain.
The Importance of a Fire Safety AssessmentIt was particularly important for this move that Suretem carried out a preliminary fire safety assessment for All Things Web® prior to them moving in. The new premises had its own fire alarm system and gas boiler so we needed to check all the necessary paperwork was in order. We did a thorough onsite audit and then provided a detailed report of our findings to All Things Web® which was colour coded according to urgency, which advised what needed to be done and the recommended timeframes. Urgent items that needed looking at were, for example:
- Locating the gas safety certificate for the boiler
- Ensuring the emergency lighting was tested
- Having the fixed wire testing certificate
- Testing and cleaning the air conditioning units
- Having a visible fire plan