Have you or any of your work colleagues been experiencing ‘bites’ in the office recently?
After bumping into a pest control specialist at a business fair he spoke of the increase in the amount of calls he receives from offices reporting ‘mystery bug bites’. Now sometimes this can be a genuine problem, pests such as flying ants or lice that are invisible to the human eye, but fortunately, that’s not the subject of today’s blog.
A number of environmental factors can result in a ‘biting sensation’ or feeling or irritation; increasingly so with the weather being warm.
So.. What causes this unpleasant sensation?.
- Fibres from carpets – Particularly nylon based ones. These fibres can puncture the skin
- Low humidity increases static electricity and the movement and effect of paper splinters, carpet fibers, and other particles
- Paper splinters and particles
- Weekend bites, spent all weekend outside? Some bites wont start to annoy you for hours
- And finally,Bell’s Syndrome: This syndrome demonstrates the “power of suggestion.” When one person in a group feels an itch or biting sensation or irritation, and begins to talk about it or to scratch, others in the group soon follow suit. It is a very powerful suggestion, difficult to ignore. When one person in an office talks about “bites,” it will likely influence others.